[kde-russian] Fwd: [Portland] dapi-0.1

Alexandre Prokoudine =?iso-8859-1?q?alexandre=2Eprokoudine_=CE=C1_gmail=2Ecom?=
Ср Мар 15 18:26:56 MSK 2006

А.П.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak на suse.cz>
Date: Mar 15, 2006 6:21 PM
Subject: [Portland] dapi-0.1
To: portland на lists.freedesktop.org

 Yeah, yeah, it's here :).

 Source code, anonymous access:
 cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs на cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/portland co portland/dapi

 (I'll even tag it as soon as I recall how to do that.)

 It should be usable by now and eagerly awaits your testing ;).

 As for documentation, there's Bryce's README (with some updates) and there
are some docs in doc/ :

 API.txt - that's the abstract API description
 C-API.txt - documentation of the C bindings - NOTE: It very clearly shows
that I suck at writing such stuff. It's awful, any help there is welcome. You
should probably rather start with
 C-HOWTO.txt - describes how to actually use it in applications in a way
that's hopefully even possible to grasp (I tried). Refer also to what's in
tests/ for some examples.

 The plan of actions now is:

- there will be some volunteers to try it out (required)
- download source code, build as said in the BUILD file
- study the docs, ask if needed
- try to use it for real (for now run manually the generic or preferably KDE
daemon - generic doesn't implement all calls)
- it should generally work just fine, there should be nothing "unfinished" or
"experimental" that would seriously affect the functionality
- what you should ship with your app is the app (plus whatever it needs) and
possibly the generic daemon as a fallback (if you decide so, see the section
in C-HOWTO.txt), nothing else
- distros should ship daemons (for now they should be simply separate
packages)

- final step: provide feedback (badly needed)

 Besides the standard "How do you like it? What's wrong? What's right?" etc.
question I'm especially interested in:

- What more (generic) API calls would you want?
- Do some of the API calls need changes?
- I know the C bindings are bound to suck, but do they at least suck
acceptably or should it be done differently?
- When are you going to use it for really real :) ? If not, what's stopping
you?

 Hmm, all for now I guess. Let's see.

 PS: You scripts people should perhaps hurry up a bit, because if you don't, I
may be fully ready even before you, including wrapper scripts ;) .

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer

--